Saturday, July 28, 2012

Wk 4 Blog Post #4- Leadership Role Models Reflection


Well I have many different people that helped influence my like and motivation to move forth in this world. I have many teachers that I look up too and my parents but most importantly I had my grandmother. Mrs. Lucille Jeter has a lot to do with where my career is headed she always said I could do whatever/ be whatever she always believed in my aspirations and me. Many people don’t know this but before I worked with special education children I was a radio announcer at 96.8 TheWU radio station I was also the station manager, then Dayton Public Schools hired me and I feel in love with trying to help special education children. Mainly because a lot of the children in our district that are special needs have parents that don’t fully understand that there child will not have a normal life like the regular kids so certain aspects that there child needs more help with they lack knowledge to help them.


I think, first of all, that the best leaders have high personal standards.  I learned to expect only the best of myself from an early age.  My mom was a EDI Director at WellPoint and she worked long days.  She set a wonderful example for my sister and me, establishing in us a determination to give the best of ourselves to every endeavor to succeed. My dad was a engineer, who believed that his children could become whatever we wanted to be.  These childhood influences were important.  And have stayed with me throughout my career. Having these high standards meant I had to make some trade-offs, particularly when it came to my time.  Anyone who aspires to become a leader must be willing to make sacrifices to get there.  You will not have as much time as you would like to devote to interests outside of your work.  You will have to be disciplined about how you use your time.  You will have to make some difficult choices about balance.  This is not easy.  You learn that time is your most precious asset.


“John Dewey Quotes”
"In a word, we may reasonably hope for the virtual abolition of education when I’m as good as you has fully had its way. All incentives to learn and all penalties for not learning will vanish. The few who might want to learn will be prevented; who are they to overtop their fellows? And anyway the teachers—or should I say, nurses?—will  be far too busy reassuring the dunces and patting them on the back to waste any time on real teaching. We shall no longer have to plan and toil to spread imperturbable conceit and incurable ignorance among men. The little vermin themselves will do it for us.

Of course this would not follow unless all education became state education. But it will. That is part of the same movement. Penal taxes, designed for that purpose, are liquidating the Middle Class, the class who were prepared to save and spend and make sacrifices in order to have their children privately educated. The removal of this class, besides linking up with the abolition of education, is, fortunately, an inevitable effect of the spirit that says I’m as good as you. This was, after all, the social group, which gave to the humans the overwhelming majority of their scientists, physicians, philosophers, theologians, poets, artists, composers, architects, jurists, and administrators. If ever there was a bunch of tall stalks that needed their tops knocked off, it was surely they."

1 comments:

jbb said...

Wow, wonderful leadership role model. It is so important to have someone believe in you, especially at a young age and someone who really knows you (like only a family member can).

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates