Thursday, July 19, 2012

Wk 3 Blog Post #3- Janet Robbins Chapters 5-8


Reading for Week 3

Favorite/ Key points that I pulled from this week's readings: (My two FAVORITE chapters were 5 and 6)

Chapter 5- I sincerely appreciated the comments made by the author in chapter 5. Luckily, in my line of work as an Agricultural Education teacher, I get to chat with my students often... not necessarily in the confines of the classroom. We talk about any number of things, but I often turn the talk to what they think of school/ how they would change the world of education, etc. One of the number one things that they say influences their engagement in a class or subject is the relationship they have with the teacher. Do they feel like they can talk with the teacher? Do they feel like the teacher is approachable? Does the teacher respect them? Each of these points has been brought up time and time again. This reminded me of the stories of the conductor and musicians...especially the comments about the myth of the inability of the musician to add to the well of knowledge. Such a sad thought that our students often feel like they are too "low" to contribute or that they cannot engage in a conversation with a teacher in a mutually enriching conversation- one in which the student is contributing to the conversation as well!

I also really liked the examples of peer teaching and the "silent conductor" as well as the realization that a a student can make a difference no matter where they are seated (example letter).

Chapter 6
Ok, so Rule # 6 is great! I think that the realization of this rule is one that MANY people should do. I could make a list a thousand miles long of people that I know that take themselves much to seriously, myself included. I think this rule goes along with the KISS rule. I think that society and their "needs" are in complete violation of rule #6 and the KISS rule.

I am on an unexpected trip to a very suburban city and I think this chapter could not be much more timely. i am appalled by the constant barrage of stores and signs around boasting their ability to meet the needs of the residents. "Get the latest styles here", "We have THE best______", etc. This place is COVERED in stuff. Just STUFF. It is as if the peoples' absence in the REAL world around them (nature and other things that really matter) has distorted what really matters- as if they are taking THEMSELVES way to seriously. It is as if the need for things has become more of a priority that it should and then they become wrapped up in all the drama and concerns that come with these things that don't really matter anyway! (Ex. Must have the best new appliance available, but in order to have it they must have their house rewired to accommodate the energy needs. The increased energy consumption stresses their wallet and they begin to fuss about the cost of energy. If they didn't get a fridge the size of New Hampshire...they wouldn't be using so much energy!) On this trip, I attended my grandmother's funeral. As I drove too and from the services and functions associated with it, I watched as all the family members fussed over things that really didn't matter. Where the flowers were placed, where the services were held, who was allowed to do my grandmother's hair for the viewing, what they should wear and why flip flops were disrespectful. These people were obviously not following rule #6. If they had been following this rule, I think they would have realized that all their actions were not to celebrate my grandmother's life... but to fill their needs and desires for the correct event. In all honesty... my grandmother wasn't there to care what color flowers were on the tables... maybe it was people taking things a little too seriously. Or... maybe this chapter just had different meaning to me because of when I read it.

Professionally, I can think of tons of times where I needed to tell myself this rule. I think I will post it above my desk next week. My school year tends to be VERY stressful... partly because of the stress that I place upon myself. Maybe it also relates to mycalculating self....

Unfortunately, I can see myself in the story of the two executives working on the contract. I see myself as the senior executive. I think the anxiety that my former teaching partner caused for me for the past 5 years sounds a lot like the story...with one difference- I did not/ do not see the ability to take over the "company" from this individual. This fear of loosing everything almost drove me from teaching and made my life miserable on multiple occasions. It robbed me of happiness. This is definitely my own fault. I wish I had read this chapter 5 years ago. At least then, I could have understood why I was having such a hard time with my teaching partner and my own inner feelings. If I had only known. I hope to not let my feelings stress me so badly in the future.

Chapter 7

Being ok with the way things are and understanding or challenging the way things could be. Interesting. I think I will reread this one. I  think there is more that I could get from this chapter at later times as well. I love the movie Babe- despite it's inaccurate agricultural views!

Chapter 8

OMG!!! This chapter starts with a thought that I think I think of constantly. Urbanization versus nature. I understand the need for basics and that by a society achieving those basic needs it allows them to meet other needs... I just think there are extremes at both ends of the spectrum and that society gets lost in what is important and GOOD for the greater good. Such an interesting thought..giving way to passion.

1 comment:

  1. Janet,

    Great blog! I defiantly have to agree with you on chapter 6 “Rule #6” this chapter spoken to me, I feel everyone needs to read chapter 6. Now a days too many people take things seriously and they take the very little things to personal. I really liked when… the visiting prime minister turns quizzically to the local prime minister and asks, “Ok, I have now observed three people come into this room frantic and dismayed only to exit the room with utmost calm when you remind them of rule #6. What is rule #6, I have to ask?” The local prime minister explains, “Rule #6 is not to take yourself so damn seriously.” The visiting prime minister then inquires, “What are the first 5 rules?” The local prime minister retorts, “There are no other rules.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates